Re: [foxboro] RE : Barriers to migration to Windows

  • From: "BrianLong" <blong@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:54:03 -0500

This is a question for the group in regards to "upgrading" to Windows.
Currently we are completely Unix at 6.5.3, we have very good system
reliability and we spend very little time fixing things.  Will this be the
same as we move to Windows or can we expect to have to add resources?

Brian Long
Arkansas Kraft

De : foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]De la part de Pablo Lioi
Envoy=3DE9 : Thursday, August 30, 2007 16:02 =3DC0 : foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : [foxboro] RE : Barriers to migration to Windows

To all the UNIX gurus migrating to Micro$oft Windoze,

My first I/A was 6.1 under WinNT. It was the first time I worked with a =3D
DCS,=3D20 as my previous experience only involved PLCs and SCADAs.

At first I was shocked at the (unnecessary) complexity of the system (by =3D
the=3D20 way I had no training and had to learn the hard way by myself), and
one =3D of=3D20 the things I disliked most was the mix between Windoze and
Unix=3D20 applications, exceed and the MKS toolkit. Don't get me wrong: I
like =3D Unix,=3D20 Linux in particular, but I also like clean solutions.
Windoze apps in=3D20 Windoze, Unix apps in Unix. Documentation didn't help
much (I never knew =3D if=3D20 a manual like "human interface calls" applied
only to Unix or was also=3D20 valid, at least to some extent, for the NT
version).

Anyway, one knew that out there there was THE REAL THING.... THE UNIX=3D20
VERSION, where all the weird things were natural, and I only had the =3D
cheap=3D20 version of THE SYSTEM.
Now Foxboro has decided to kill THE REAL THING, and we are left with the =3D

latest version of THE CHEAP VERSION, which is not so cheap after all (we =3D

paid $75000 for a Dell Server that is worth some $15000 for the rest of =3D
the=3D20 world). I think that the least they should have done was to build
the =3D whole=3D20 thing from scratch and do away with exceed, the emulated
shell, ICC, =3D SYSTEM=3D20 MONITOR, etc. Besides, the performance of the
8.x system is the same or=3D20 worse as our previous 6.5.1 NT running on
Pentium II PC's.

It doesn't surprise me that migrated UNIX users are complaining about =3D
the=3D20 things they have lost. And know what? They aren't going to get
any=3D20 solutions.

I've been training two young engineers during the last months. At times =3D
it=3D20 is almost impossible to explain the way things are done in the I/A.
If =3D you=3D20 can't find a good explanation for something, then it is
probably done =3D the=3D20 wrong way.

If I had to advise somebody I would say:
- The new I/A falls in the category of "Not recommended for new designs"
=3D

products
- If you have a small I/A system, and need to upgrade, consider changing =3D
to=3D20 another product
- If you have a large I/A system, and need to upgrade, well..... you are =3D

dead, my friend.

Regards
Pablo Lioi

=3D20

 =

 =

 =

Confidentiality Notice:
The information contained in this electronic message and any attachment(s) =
to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the recipient(s) and =
may contain confidential, privileged or proprietary information. If you are=
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, delete a=
ll copies of this message and any attachment(s). Any other use of the E-Mai=
l by you is prohibited.