Re: [foxboro] Protecting control based upon user ID

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P \(IPS\)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:58:12 -0400

If you use UNIX log ins, e.g., root and ia, they are different owners.

So you can set things up for special programs like omset pretty easily
by simply restricting execution to the owner of the program - root.

It can get lots more complex if you want.

As a rule, each user does have a separate home directory and a shell
that executes on log in. The administrator can do a variety of things,
e.g., run the restricted shell or change the path to limit the tools
that are accessible.

Just be aware that programs that access the OM must have root
permissions since the Shared Memory segment that the OM uses is
restricted to root access.

You can get that for non-root users, but setting the 'set-uid' bit using
chmod to give any user root access to specific programs (sort of the
reverse of the original request).

Regards,
=20
Alex Johnson