Re: [foxboro] Protecting FoxView Environments using '.pulldown' Files

  • From: "Boulay, Russ" <Russ.Boulay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 23:13:16 -0500

FoxView can do what you are looking for.

First FoxView does work with .pulldown file for menu bar buttons tied to
directories like /usr/fox/config where ICC and FoxDraw resides.
So FoxDraw can be protected which was asked further down in email trail.

Secondly, as to environments...
FoxView doesn't need .pulldown for actual drop down menus.... it has a built-in
.mnu alternative.

As example if I create a Change_Env.mnu file I can add that to the Menu Bar
Example of Change_Env.mnu file:

pulldown foxview menu
"Process_Eng"  "script /opt/fox/env/Process_Eng.env" -p 100
"Operator"     "script /opt/fox/env/Operator.env"

First line establishes the built in pulldown command
Second line puts a Process_Eng label in the pulldown and also disables
selection Process_Eng environment (protected)
Third line puts a Operators label in the pulldown and will allows selection of
Operator_Env (unprotected)

Caution:
Calling environments this way would bypass the password dialog box as then the
perception would be that if you are allowing or disallowing from the
menu...then a password prompt is not needed.

I'm currently looking at a lab system where both above approaches are applied.

From:   "Johnson, Alex P (IOM)" <Alex.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:   08/02/2013 15:22
Subject:        Re: [foxboro] PASSWORD FOR FOXDRAW CHANGES
Sent by:        foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't know. I've never tried it.

Invensys Operations Management
10900 Equity Drive
Houston, TX 77041
+1 713 329 8472 (desk)
+1 713 329 1600 (operator)
+1 713 329 1700 (Central Fax)
alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx

From:   "Johnson, Alex P (IOM)" <Alex.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:   08/02/2013 13:21
Sent by:        foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can also create a .pulldown in the config directory to require that a
particular access class is open before accessing the config directory. You

would then have an environment that opens that class and all the others
will close is.

You can also buy the smallest license of FoxCTS and get support for
individual users and specific environments for them. We don't charge by
the workstation for FoxCTS so if you aren't tracking CP changes, you can
buy just the small license. It also supports inactivity log outs.

Finally, if you buy FoxCTS you can track users to CP changes.