Re: [foxboro] Operator interface question

  • From: Corey R Clingo <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:06:36 -0500

Our I/O Scan load is 150-200% of BPC.  I changed the BPC to 0.5 (from 1.0)
on the advice of this list, in order to have more phases to work with, and
phased out the scanning, but it didn't help.  Interestingly, before we
changed the BPC, the I/O load was still in the 150-200% range.  We have 5
PLCs, 370-odd blocks in the gateway, but are scanning well under the 350
bytes/sec the specs claim is possible for an Integrator 30.

We also tried setting the baud rate to 19.2K (from 9600), but scan load did
not change, and we got intermittent failures on one - only one - of the 5
PLCs on the highway.

And a couple new twists appeared during our recent shutdown.  Displays
gathering data from the gateway were intermittently smurfing for no
apparent reason.  Even the station block smurfed about half of the times we
called it up.  Naturally, nothing showed up in system management (PLEASE,
Foxboro, make that a more useful tool.  It's such a pain to wait 15-30
seconds for that to call up only to find nothing of value in it).  We
finally discovered that one of our AWs had some "ghost" connections to it
(40, to be exact).  Rebooting the AW cleared it up.

The next day, we had several of the values from one of the PLCs just quit
updating.  Not smurfed, ABSCAN blocks show good, but data does not change.
RSLinx data monitor clearly showed the data to be changing.  After a lot of
trial and error, we finally turn off all the compounds getting data from
that PLC, reload the ECB15, and turn them back on.  Seems to have fixed it.
Needless to say, these took up several hours of precious shutdown time.

I guess I am used to my Honeywell days, where you configured the PLC
gateway and forgot it.  It ran and ran.  When you had a problem, the
diagnostics told you (and came up in less than 5 seconds to boot).  I
complained because the point-building interface was that of their
older-generation system, rather than something more current, but I'd gladly
take that now.

Corey Clingo
Sr. Engineer
BASF Corp.

|         |           Brian Long       |
|         |           <blong@xxxxxxx>  |
|         |           foxboro-bounce@fr|
|         |           eelists.org      |
|         |           05/16/2002 09:09 |
|         |           foxboro          |

  |                                              To:    foxboro
                                                  |

  |                cc:
                                                  |
  |         Subject:                                    Re: [foxboro] Operator
interface question                                 |

What kind of thruput problems are you having?  Some of the issues I've had
been able to clean up.

Brian Long
Green Bay Packaging
Arkansas Kraft Division