Re: [foxboro] New topic: Gradual smurf all WP's

  • From: Kevin FitzGerrell <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:59:41 +1200 (NZST)

Robin,

What do you get when you do snoop from one of the AWs or WPs?  Any traffic?  If
you just want to count packets do "snoop -d hme0 -o /dev/null" on a D/E or
"snoop -d le0 -o /dev/null" for a B box.

What do netstat -i and ifconfig -a show from AW and/or WPs?

Does a workstation come back from a reboot still smurfed?

Are the workstations smurfed for data from all control stations or just from
particular ones?

You should be able to use a DNBT to connect a laptop to the nodebus, use CA or
CB as a letterbug (CA - listen on both, send on A).  For snooping the network,
you can use any of a wide variety of sniff.exe or snoop.exe tools, however it's
very likely that these will be considered spyware by most corporate security
systems (for good reason - spyware often uses these tools for various nefarious
purposes).  My personal preference is to use one of the Linux Live CDs with a
set of network tools (especially Ethereal) in a laptop for doing network
analysis and a memory stick or flash card for collecting the data and reports.

Foxboro have a good solution - a laptop with a version of NAI's Sniffer Pro with
drivers and tools specifically for sniffing the Nodebus - TAC or Fox Service
should have more details.

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell