Re: [foxboro] New topic: Gradual smurf all WP's

  • From: "Jones, Charles R. \(Chuck\)" <Chuck.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:18:38 -0400

What was done most recently?

I've had similar symptoms a couple of times.  Once, it was a chatty
DNBX.  We have redundant CPs and half of several pairs were
rebooting--and taking a VERY long time to come back online.  That was
the clue for me, once I understood that something was creating noise on
the bus so that even the CPs couldn't get through.  I guessed that the
"communications" were not legitimate.  If you don't have redundant CPs,
there is no Shadow CP to take over and reboot the Primary CP when
communications begin to slow down.  So, "all green" CPs may not
necessarily indicate good news.  If you have a DNBX, take it out of the
picture temporarily to see if the symptoms change.

Another curious situation was caused by a support system (process water
supply) that was common to the entire plant.  As a consequence, the IPC
connections on that CP were close to the limit.  Once we had it online
long enough to forget and to pass the GUI around to too many
workstations, the IPC connections went over the limit.  The symptoms
were quite similar to yours.  Often, rebooting the first workstation to
smurf would lessen the problem on the others...for a while.  We
off-loaded as many things from the CP as we could.  We eventually had to
reboot the CP to clean out all of the old and broken OM tables.

A related suggestion is to reboot all of the workstations, since you
only have eight.  They don't have to be done simultaneously.  When they
first "wake up" they broadcast a signal to all other stations to dump
all of the OM tables they may have opened before going offline. =20

I may have more suggestions in the morning, if you're still at it.  I'm
into my 12th hour now, so I was just looking over my email before going
home when your message came in.  These ideas are just the first things
that popped into my head.

Good luck!
Chuck Jones
Automation Technologist