Re: [foxboro] Network

  • From: "Bakke, Richard A" <rabakke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:47:35 -0800

Troy,
    We just installed a P81 at version 7.1 in mid-December and it is
working correctly both to the I/A RCNI and to the mill ethernet.  Oddly
enough, we found out from someone at TAC that when you want to use the
2nd ethernet, the I/A system (RCNI) has to be connected to the 2nd
ethernet card, with the mill ethernet connected to the on-board ethernet
port.  Consequently, hostname.hme0 has the I/A letterbug, and
hostname.bge0 has the mill host name.  Here is the ifconfig -a  result
(AAA is the mill ethernet and BBB is the standard I/A):

lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
bge0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
    inet AAA.XX.XX.XX netmask ffff0000 broadcast AAA.XX.255.255
    ether 0:x:xx:xx:xx:xx
hme0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
    inet BBB.XX.XX.XX netmask ffff0000 broadcast BBB.XX.255.255
    ether 8:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Also, we do use the /etc/defaultrouter file.

Rich Bakke
Longview Fibre Co.