Re: [foxboro] More future direction questions.

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P (IPS)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:04:01 -0400

Re: A V6.3 system allows 3 segments, right?
Yes.

Re: A V7.X does not support WP51D's and AW51E's, right?
Ds and Es do not run V7.x software, but co-existence is fully supported.

Re: We have been told we could upgrade to V6.5.2, keep the WP51D's and
AW51E's, install switches and we would have increased the segment limitation
from 3 to 5.

You would also need to install an AW at V7.x to run NFD to monitor the
switch (and I hope do other useful things).

If you are at V7.1 or later, you could have 8 control segments and
"unlimited" segments with just WPs/AWs.

Re: So could I state that what Alex say's about V7.0 is true also for
V6.5.2? Is this correct?

In what regard?

V6 does not support the "intra-Node" switch.
V7 is required to add switches "intra-Node."
V8 is required to add switches "inter-Node."

Does that answer your question?

Re: Expansion
You have the following options:

1) Add 1x8 in the main room to gain slots and then extend with NCNIs at
   each end. A given segment may have up to 6 cell busses:

   If you are using IE32s, you may have as many as 3 of them.
   If you are using 1x8s, you may have as many as 6 of them.

   I suspect that you have room to add 1x8s to get slots.

   This requires:
   a) 1 1x8 in the main room
   b) a pair of NCNIs the new 1x8
   c) Adding the 1x8 to the existing equipment

2) Add switches and an AW at V7.x to the current room and extend up to
   2Km using fiber to a 1x8 with NCNIs in the remote facility. This
   requires:
   a) 1 pair of switches
   b) 2 NCNIs as appropriate
   c) 1 AW51 or AW70 to manage the network

3) Use ATS and Mesh to reach to the remote location. This requires:
   a) 1 pair of ATSs
   b) 1 pair of switches
   c) 1 AW70

Of the three, I'd look at 1) first.