Re: [foxboro] Making more space in /usr/local

  • From: stan <stanb@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:14:35 -0400

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 11:53:41AM -0500, Winston Jenks wrote:

> Stan,
>
> I like the idea of piping tar to tar.  I think that will preserve
> timestamps, permissions, and the owner, right?

Thanks, it an old UNIX hackers trick, right out of my "useful hacks"
toolkit.

Yes, it will preserve _virtually_ everything, the only thing I am aware of
that it will not preserve are "holey" files, that is files that have an
extents that are bigger than th physical space the consume )large
contiguous blocks of nulls). I don't know of any way to not expand these
when they are copied.

Modern versions of cp are getting _better_ at recursive copies, and
maintaining the meta-data of files, but the extensions to accomplish this are
somewhat non portable, and tar is on everything. cpio, and pax can also be
used, if desired.

> About a symlink: A symbolic link seems much easier than remembering the
> vfstab file during an upgrade, but for me doing:
>          cd /usr/local
>          cd ..
>
> and ending up in /opt is a little too weird.  I know I have some recursive
> makefiles that would go nuts if they ran into that sort of thing.

Yep, when I lived in a world without symlink I lusted for them. Now that I
have them, I recognize that they, like everything, have warts.

> > > Here is what I did to make my /usr/local bigger.  Will someone please
> > > comment on the validity of this procedure before I get so far into this
> > > hole that I can never dig myself out?
> > >
> > > Retarget /usr/local to /opt/ulocal
> > >               a) cp -r /usr/local/* /opt/ulocal #Probably should have
> > done "cp -R ..."
> >
> >         I'd  sugest the following instead hee:
> >
> >                 mkdir /usr/ulocal
> >                 cd /usr/local
> >                 tar cvf . | ( cd /opt/ulocal ; tar xf -)
> >
> > >               b) Added line to /etc/vfstab --> "/opt/ulocal/ -
> > /usr/local lofs - yes -"
> > >               c) renamed /usr/local to /usr/local.orig
> > >               d) mkdir /usr/local
> > >               e) reboot
> > >
> > > The idea is to make /usr/local really refer to /opt/ulocal (where I have
> > > lots of space)
> > >

> >How about a symlink?

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin