Re: [foxboro] Mac Address

  • From: "Johnson, Alex (Foxboro)" <ajohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 09:23:01 -0400

MAC addresses are the fundamental addressing mechanism in any Ethernet based
LAN.

Each Ethernet chip manufacturer is given a range of MAC addresses that they
may build into their E'net chips.

MAC addresses are unique. In the entire world, no two chips are to have the
same MAC address.

In the I/A Series, we override the MAC of our FT stations so that each
station has the same address. SysDef ensures that no two stations in the
same control system have the same MAC address.

Since the MAC addresses are the same both members of an FT pair get the same
messages from other stations. This is required for FT to work.

Hope this helps.

System Products - Invensys Systems, Inc.
10707 Haddington
Houston, TX 77043
713.722.2859 (office)
713.722.2700 (switchboard)