Re: [foxboro] Logmate alarm collection

  • From: "Lowell, Timothy" <TLowell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 09:35:53 -0500

Jeremy,

Matrikon Alarm Manager also uses a method that is implemented strictly
over the 2nd Ethernet port, although they have yet to release a product
for I/A version 8.x on the Windows platform.  Alarm Manager runs a small
program on the Unix AW that is built using Object Manager API calls that
sits and listens for alarms much like a WP, AW, or printer would.  You
configure the six-character name of the Alarm Manager program as a
device in the Compound or Station Block in the same manner you would a
WP, AW or printer.  The Alarm Manager program is configured to catch the
alarms in a buffer and relay them over the 2nd Ethernet port to the
Alarm Manager server.

Matrikon is working on a method for version 8.x that uses ODBC calls
into AIM*Historian that extracts the alarms and events periodically and
sends them to a server, but it isn't ready for public consumption.  They
haven't been able to duplicate the functionality of their Unix interface
because Foxboro won't release the OM API header files in Windows.

I'm not sure about LogMate, but I think even their most recent versions
use only the Serial port, or at least I am not aware of another way for
LogMate to use anything but a Serial port.  You can purchase a device
from TiPS that converts the Serial information to Ethernet and sends the
alarms to the LogMate server via TCP/IP without the LogMate server
physically being connected to the I/A system.

Tim Lowell
Control Systems Engineer
Tesoro Petroleum Company
210-283-2929 (w)