Re: [foxboro] IACC Projects (was: IACC Projects)

  • From: tom.vandewater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:53:32 -0500

Marcel,
        Thanks for sharing your experiences using IACC.  The ball is finally
rolling and users are able to get a better feel of what it involves.  This
is what should've happened last August.  As Duc, and now Ken Haywood, both
pointed out, this is an unique opportunity for Foxboro and users to give and
receive information about Fox IA products and I have positive proof that
many  ears are listening to what goes on in discussion on this list.  But
only a few Invensys employees have been actively participating with
feedback.
        We all know that what is said on this list is never an official
company stance.  It just relays experiences and opinions that may or may not
be helpful to the participants.  In the case of IACC, it appears that the
majority of experience using it lies within the Invensys ranks.  Users often
want someone else to do all of the Beta testing and bug fixing before they
make a decision to use a new application.  They want to be sure that the
product is ready for "prime time".  Past experiences tell them that just
because a product is offered for sale doesn't mean it is ready to be useful
or even currently available!
        Discussing IACC openly in this forum may well be the best marketing
tool Foxboro has.
        I currently have another question about it.

When using IACC in a plant environment I have heard warnings about making
sure that the IACC database is in sync with the CP, (much like the ICC
problem when the workfile gets corrupted or isn't in sync).  Does IACC use
the same "upload" capability to insure that the database is in sync with
what is running in the CP?
i.e. If a CP is downloaded using the database of IACC and then alarm
settings, tuning, or changing of other display settable parameters occurs,
how does the IACC database get updated with those changes?

Thanks for any insight.

Tom VandeWater
Control Systems Developer/Analyst
Dow Corning Corporation