Re: [foxboro] How to keep accurate time

  • From: "Pulas, Philip" <Philip.G.Pulas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 16:50:22 +0000

Martin,

Yes, you are correct about the two obsolete protocols that it uses.  It does
work great, though.

Thanks,
Philip Pulas
Tesoro
Golden Eagle Refinery
Martinez, CA

From:   "Brown, Stanley" <stan.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:   25/02/2013 13:51
Sent by:        foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

For years we used NTP to synchronize all of our control systems to our
master controls system GPS clocks. Unfortunately the Windows version of IA
does not allow this.

As I understand it, your 2 options are:

1) Buy the GPS card Foxboro sells, and use it
*0 Foxboro Montreal sells a package that will synchronize to an external
time source suing an old (obsolete) protocol.

We have chosen option 2, as it lets us use the GPS clocks we use for all
the other control systems in the mills.

Seems a real shame that Foxboro will not allow us to use NTP, which we do
with other vendors Windows based systems.