Re: [foxboro] How to keep accurate time

  • From: "Brown, Stanley" <stan.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:48:49 +0000

Actually I think the correct way to do this is a lot like *NIX deals with this
from the user interface point of view. The system clock is set to UTC. When I
log on, I set (automatically) an environment variable that tells the system
what time zone I am in, and it presents the data in a format corrected for my
view of the world. Thus if I am logged onto a computer physically located on
the West coast of the US, and I am physically on the East coast, I see the time
as the format I expect (locally).

The only issue with this has to do with historical data, and the continuing
meddling with DST start/end dates by the politicians. The system does have a
file /etc/tztab that tells it what the current value of these change dates is,
but (currently) the format of that file does not allow for a start and end date
of the effective time of the start end dates of the DST change. Guess we will
have to enhance the software to compensate for the politicians :-)

The information contained in this message and any attached files may be
privileged and/or confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not
the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of
the information contained in or attached to this transmission is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please so notify
the sender immediately without reading it. Also, please promptly destroy the
original transmission and its attachments. Any views or opinions presented in
this message or attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of KapStone Paper and Packaging Corporation or its subsidiaries.