Re: [foxboro] HIC's

  • From: "Tom VandeWater" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:09:52 -0500

Tim,
    The following strategy might be too simple but I think it would work
fine.
PIC  (PIDA block) ->  SWCH #1 (SWCH Block) ->  HV#1 (AOUT Block) ->  FBM37
or
05 connected to turbine control valve #1
SWCH #2  (SWCH Block) ->  HV#2 (AOUT Block) -> FBM37 or 05 connected
to turbine control valve #2
Basically, replace the HIC/PIDA blocks with SWITCH blocks configured as
follows:

SWCH#1&2.INP1 are configured to a value of  zero "0"
SWCH#1&2.INP2 are configured to the PIC.OUT
SWCH#1&2.BTIME1 & .BTIME2 are configured to desired value as described
below:

"Balance Time to Input 1 is a real input that specifies the balancing time
for toggling from Input 2 to Input 1. The output approaches the Input1 value
with a response characteristic of a first order lag having a time constant
of BTIME1, in minutes. The value actually input to this parameter represents
nearly one-fifth of the time that it takes the out-put to transfer from the
Input 2 value to the Input 1 value."

HV#1.MEAS is configured to the SWCH#1.OUT
HV#2.MEAS is configured to the SWCH#2.OUT
ALL HV and SWCH blocks are locked in AUTO
SWCH#1 & #2.TOGGLE are set from individual  graphical picks that toggle from
0 to 1 or 1 to 0
The graphic representation of HV#1 and HV#2 is set to change color based on
the .TOGGLE for each valve:
TOGGLE = 0 = closed
TOGGLE = 1 = open
The PIC.FBK and .BCALCI can be connected to either SWCH#1.INP2 or
SWCH#2.INP2 parameters  It really doesn't matter because they are both
connected to PIC.OUT and the SWCH blocks will always be in AUTO.  If you
desire to close all valves you simply put the PIC in Manual and set the .OUT
to zero.
    The beauty of this strategy is that it doesn't matter how many HV's you
have or how many are in concurrent use because the PIC will adjust it's
output based on feedback that it gets from it's measurement.  When one of
the HV's is removed from service by toggling the .TOGGLE parameter of it's
associated SWCH block, it won't slam it's output to zero but will degrade
based on the value in .BTIME1 of the SWCH block.giving the PIC an
opportunity to control the transition.  If there are only two HV's you could
set the .TOGGLE of SWCH#1 from a graphic and connect SWCH#1.TOGGLE.~ to
SWCH#2.TOGGLE. You would then get a simultaneous decrement from the PIC.OUT
value to zero on one valve and a corresponding increment up to the PIC.OUT
value to the other valve.  This would not work if you had three or more
valves.
I've never used this strategy but think it will be somewhat better than the
one you currently use.  I hope this helps.  If nothing else, I bet it
stimulates more discussion.

Tom VandeWater
Dow Corning Corp.
Carrollton, KY, USA

> The HIC#2.MEAS is configured to the HV#2.OUT
> The HIC#2.INITI is configured to the HV#2.INITO
> The HIC#2.BCALCI and .FBK are configured to the HV#2.BCALCO
> The HIC#2.RSP is configured to the PIC.OUT
> The HIC#2.LR is configured to always be in REMOTE
>
> The HV#1.MEAS is configured to the HIC#1.OUT
> The HV#2.MEAS is configured to the HIC#2.OUT
>
> We couldn't figure out how to make the make the M/A transition on the
HIC's