Re: [foxboro] GDEV functionality

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:48:04 -0400

"Can you perhaps expand on just exactly what is Brand H tri-state ?"

As Jerry said, the Brand H digital composite point had two contact inputs
and three contact outputs.  The mapping of the 3 block states to the
states of the inputs and outputs was configurable.  One other feature it
had is that up to two of the states could be momentary.  I used this
latter feature to emulate a hand-auto-off switch in the DCS that matched
the one we commonly had in the field; it nicely avoided the problem of
having to put the block in the STOP state, then back in the RUN state to
get the start pulse again.

There were some other niceties as well; a software "tagout" function,
myriad interlock and bypass functions, and timers/counters to show number
of state transitions, time of last transition, and time spent in each
state.  I think it also had independent state, input/output mismatch, and
transition alarms, but my RAM isn't ECC and may have a few bit errors in
that area.

"I've had success with using the text fields the GDEV includes. It means
a bit more work in setting up the display bits and pieces, but once
one is done, it copies easily.  Are you talking here about Detail
faceplate use?"

Yes, this is what I do as well.  It works fine, but just feels like
overkill when I could use a COUT (if it had labels).

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation