Re: [foxboro] Foxboro/Invensys pulls another good one.

  • From: "Lowell, Tim:" <tlowell@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 06:17:10 -0700

Stan,

I'm not refuting your statement or taking Invensys' side in this argument at
all (that wouldn't be like me anyway), but I would like you to clarify
something.  How will having Solaris 2.5.1 and Solaris 8 machines on the same
system be a "nightmare"?  Are there specific problems between these two
operating systems running I/A software that you are aware of?  Or is it the
fact that certain third-party applications won't run on both systems?  I
don't know the answers, but I'm hoping that you or somebody else does.

Right now, I envision that during our next turnaround, we will end up
upgrading our CP's to version 7.x and swapping out our AW51's to Solaris 8
machines and starting to incorporate the new 1 Gb switched Ethernet, but
that we will probably keep our existing Solaris 2.5.1 WP's running FoxView
99.2.1, which work fine.  Eventually we will start replacing our WP's with
Solaris 8 or possibly even WinXP machines on an as needed basis.  If this
isn't possible or is extremely difficult, I'd like to know about it.  This
wasn't the impression I got in Orlando.  Any enlightenment on this would be
helpful.

Tim Lowell
Control Systems Engineer
ConocoPhillips, Trainer Refinery