Re: [foxboro] FW: More future direction questions.

  • From: Kevin FitzGerrell <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:32:34 +1300 (NZDT)

Alex,

An ATS that pluggeds into the nodebus racks is a good solution where a site has
existing CLANs and uses the ATS as a CLAN replacement.

For sites that already have NCNIs and V7.X switches, and want to use a V8 host
and ATSs to merge seperate networks together, having an ATS that plugs into the
V7 switches would be far better.

                      AW
                     V8.x

                    Switch
                    | | |
        -----------/  |  \-----------
        |             |             |
       ATS           ATS           ATS
        |             |             |
     Switch        Switch        Switch
        |             |             |
 System 1 at    System 2 at    System 3 at
V6.5.2/7.1.1   V6.5.2/7.1.1   V6.5.2/7.1.1

So, three choices at my site where I plan to do the merger/upgrade I've drawn
above:

Option 1 - use currently non-existant "direct to switches" ATS modules as above
-- adding a V8 node:
3 ATS
V8 Switches
V8 AW
Advantages -- very simple, no extra cabinets needed, relatively inexpensive,
provides easy upgrade path to bring individual segments onto the V8 network.
Disadvantage -- uses non-existant "direct to switches" ATS modules.

Option 2 - use gateway 1x8 racks between networks:
3 ATS
V8 Switches
V8 AW
3 1x8 racks
1 big cabinet to house racks
6 NCNI
Problems -- where to put the big cabinet, why have 10mbps link between
100mbps/1gbps networks (especially since the ATS can saturate a 10mbps 1/2
duplex nodebus), don't want to buy more NCNIs and 1x8 racks when we'll be moving
away from them anyway.

Option 3 - Put the ATS modules where we currently have NCNI modules (I
understand there will be advantage upgrades available):
40 ATS
V8 Switches (because I'll still need a set of root switches for the mesh)
V8 AW
Advantages -- this is where we want to be in a few years
Problems -- 40 ATS modules is a lot to buy at once, and doing this in one fell
swoop is a big job, it would be better to start with option 1 (or 2) and
gradually bring segments onto the V8 network.

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell
Carter Holt Harvey, Ltd.
+64 27 460 9994