Re: [foxboro] FW: FW: More future direction questions.

  • From: Kevin FitzGerrell <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:52:52 +1300 (NZDT)

Russ,

My intention is to connect my three v7.x/v6.5.x networks together with a small
V8.x node (AW, switches, 3 pair ATS).  As I understand it I don't need to use
the ATS in pairs, however it's my understanding that I can, to preserve network
redundancy.

After merging the network, however, I plan on gradually bringing some of the
legacy segments off the V7 switches on to the V8 switches, replacing the NCNIs
with ATS.  Other legacy segments will be eliminated as I upgrade existing CPs
and gateways to CP270s and FDSI FBMs.  Currently, all of my legacy segments are
connected directly to a V7 switch with NCNIs.  As I see it, I will use a pair of
ATS to replace a pair of NCNIs as I bring legacy segments onto the V8 switches.

Currently I'm not using any NCNIs as NBEs, nor am I using any NCNIs for the sole
purpose of directly connecting 51F/G or XP workstations.

Our V7 networks were only ever intended as a temporary solution to allow
elimination of some overloaded CLANs and unreliable FONBEs.  All workstations
and switches were purchased with the assurance from Foxboro that they would be
supported at V8.

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell
Carter Holt Harvey, Ltd.