Re: [foxboro] FDSI driver AB CSP or FDSI Driver Ethernet/IP

  • From: Jeremy Milum <jmilum@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:20:11 -0500

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Kevin Fitzgerrell
<fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Foxboro does a pretty good job migrating from other systems, but migrating
> from their own
> AB30s is apparently too challenging or not taken seriously enough.

I am just making a WAG here, but I feel the issue may stem from a
design decision to go to a more generic base for the interfaces, i.e.
the FDSIs rather than all of the disparate integrator code bases. That
allows them to unify everything under one umbrella and create a single
programming API for creating the drivers for all of the interfaces to
MODBUS, PROFIBUS, AB, etc.

But it can come at a an operational cost (as all generic interfaces
are prone to do): a loss of function if not implemented with great
forethought. It's hard to be generic and still take the best
advantages of all the different platforms you need to interface with.

You can see an example of this even with the FBM224 -> FMB232. The 224
was more limited in what it could interface with, yet only recently
has the MODBUS driver for the 232 gained most of the functions of the
224 (and still lacks some)

We experienced a very great loss of initial function with the starting
DCI blocks. They were laughable when compared to AINs. They are much
better now. But why couldn't the AIN itself be adapted? Throw in some
new SCIx or IOMOPTs, or failing that give us a RIN that is a straight
copy of the AIN and ADD the new stuff to that. And this goes for the
rest of the DCI blocks like MCIN and PAKIN. Why lose features?

I wonder if they did a use case analysis of this stuff before they
re-implemented the blocks as DCIs?

--
Jeremy