Re: [foxboro] Convert a Foxboro P91 Server from a P91 Dell Power Edge 2800 to a new Dell Power Edge 2900

  • From: tjvandew@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 03:41:34 +0000

Thanks Ed.  I agree that it is a rare occasion to need a backup boot CD.  We
recently had a CP Boot host fail and it wouldn't re boot. We were able to use
the Acronis boot CD to backup the D: partition and then did a day0 on another
box and restored D: to it toget going again.  Needless to say, we didn't have a
current backup.  Since it was a boot partition problem the acronis boot cd
allowed us to backup all of the critical fox data on D: partition.  That
episode made us all believers in regular backups.
Tom
From: "Larsen, Ed" <ed.larsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 21:21:42
To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [foxboro] Convert a Foxboro P91 Server from a P91 Dell Power Edge
2800 to a new Dell Power Edge 2900

Tom,

Your synopsis is correct. Although on rare occasion it would be
convenient to backup a box without loading the backup software, it
hasn't been an issue for me.

All of the Invensys P90, P91, and P92 come with the Dell restore cd. One
of the first things I do on the boxes we receive is to make sure BESR is
installed. Configure it to back up to our servers and I never worry
about it being backed up again. Operators never even know the backup is
being made.