Re: [foxboro] Clearing Accum block

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P (IPS)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:35:23 -0400

According to the block documentation for the ACCUM block, the CLEAR =
(reset)
input works as follows:

CLEAR=20
   Clear is a Boolean input that sets the accumulator output to zero =
when
   CLEAR makes a zero-to-one transition. The ACCUM block automatically
   clamps this input at zero if no connection exists.

Since it works on the rising edge, the reset would occur 1 minute after =
the
top of the hour. That is, at 10:01 not 10:00 the ACCUM block would be =
reset.

This approach will reset the accumulator every hour, but not at the top =
of
the hour.

The three ways that I know to do it at the top of the hour are:

1) Connect it to a CALC output
2) Write an IND block to set it using an external reference
3) Write a script on an AW to reset it.

The problem with the first approach is that one would not be able to =
manual
reset it from the ACCUM faceplate. The CLEAR parameter would be secured =
the CALC output. Sometimes this is an issue.

The problem with the second approach is that you have to write a =
sequence
block, but the CLEAR parameter would not be secured and the =
implementation
is not fault tolerant.

The problems with the last approach are:
1) If the AW is down, the reset will not occur.=20
2) One might forget about the script during an upgrade and not =
reschedule
   it.
3) One-shots across the Nodebus can eventually get expensive.

Me? I'd use the sequence block unless I knew that a manual reset would =
not
be needed.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,