Re: [foxboro] Changing Admin. password on AW70 TS.

  • From: Corey R Clingo <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 16:33:16 -0500

Hmmm....and maybe this is one reason why most NT services run as
"LocalSystem" rather than as a user?  However, since we have no Windoze I/A
boxes, and there exists a remote possibility that  Invensys has a good
reason for doing this, I'll spare everyone a(nother) rant.

To work around this administrative burden (I've had it happen with one or
two other systems I've used), I usually create an administrator-equivalent
account with some sort of long, pseudo-random password and never change it.
I then set up all the services that need it to run under this account, and
turn on auditing if I'm really worried about someone breaking into it (not
that that is foolproof...).  I do not use this special account for any
other purpose.  DISCLAIMER: I cannot say for certain whether this will work
on AW70s.

You might also be able to rig up some registry hack to change all the
services passwords automatically, but I know even less about that.

Corey Clingo
Sr. Engineer
BASF Corp

"Johnson, Alex (Foxboro)" <ajohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx>@freelists.org on
05/02/2002 09:11:42 AM

Please respond to foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:    foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To:    foxboro
cc:
Subject:    Re: [foxboro] Changing Admin. password on AW70 TS.

The issue is that services in NT must "log into" the system as a particular
user.

When you change the password for Fox, you must also go to each service logs
in as Fox  (or whatever) and change the password in the service.

This is not terribly hard, but it is so easy to make a mistake that the
general feeling is that you should not change the password. I'm not sure
what the official position is on changing the password on our NT boxes.

System Products - Invensys Systems, Inc.
10707 Haddington
Houston, TX 77043
713.722.2859 (office)
713.722.2700 (switchboard)