Re: [foxboro] Changing Admin. password on AW70 TS.

  • From: "Williams, Dave G SUKOP-CME/72/04" <Dave.G.Williams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 13:49:53 +0200

As my pet subject has raised its head again I'll take this opportunity to
have another rage.  Security on the I/A system is without doubt an
afterthought.  Now you may be able to make an excuse for the Solaris
environment given were it developed from.  Lets face it there was not a
queue of people trying to connect Venix to their corporate networks!.
BUT the Windows implementation was developed when such things were normal
practice.  To even have to discuss if a password can be changed or not shows
a total disregard for the customer. Sure there are practical reasons why
these things are not easy but these should have been part of the design.
Just think about the absurdity of the situation.  We are allowed to protect
the plant via various Foxview/DM protection functions.  You can even buy an
add-on product to keep records and track changes.  BUT you cannot easily
stop somebody logging in to you box as an administrator and destroying all
your software!!!
Just a little thought for the people who own and maintain these systems in
the real world would be appreciated.

Dave Williams
Snr Power and Control Engineer
Shell UK Oil Products Limited
Stanlow Manufacturing Complex, PO Box 3, Ellesmere Port, South Wirral CH65
4HB, United Kingdom

Tel: +44(0)151350 4480 Fax: 4566 Other Tel: +44 (0)7799 657836
Email: dave.g.williams@xxxxxxxxx