Re: [foxboro] CP40 to CP60 Fieldbus upgrade

  • From: tom.vandewater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:30:36 -0500

        If you are running sequences in one CP that are getting or setting
values in another CP that will create the problems you describe.  gets and
sets work differently than peer to peer parameter connections that use an
object manager table.  Gets or sets within the same CP are not a problem
because they access the values from local memory but a get or set across CP
boundaries from a sequence has the same effect as a WAIT statement because
the sequence has to wait while a nodebus or possibly carrierband
communication transaction takes place before it can proceed to the next
statement.
        If you have multiple actions that you want to take place and are
using gets or sets back to back in the sequence code it will really slow the
sequence down.  To avoid that issue, you can make what we call "hard"
connections from the sequence input or output parameters, (BI0001-24,
BO0001-16, RI0001-15, RO0001-15) to appropriate parameters of the blocks in
the other CP.  This creates a permanent object manager table in both the
source and sink CP memory.  The sequence then reads/gets the values from the
other CP via its local memory resident object manager and writes/sets values
that its object manager table will pass to the remote CP whenever the change
delta is met.  It is important that you understand block change deltas when
making peer to peer "hard" connections but if you can connect in this
fashion instead of using gets/sets it will make a world of difference in how
fast your sequences run.
        If this isn't your problem you may be experiencing nodebus switching
issues in such a way that CP1 thinks "A" is bad and begins transmitting on
"B" nodebus and CP2 is transmitting on "A" nodebus.  They should both be
able to listen on either bus but it doesn't seem to really work well that
way.  You may not be able to see any nodebus failure messages from SMDH that
lets you know what is going on.  We experienced that with nodes that were
using nodebus extenders in conjunction with high bursts of AW traffic.  The
nodebus extenders sent jamming signals when they experienced collisions and
it appeared that the CP-60's timed out and switched to the other bus before
the jamming stopped.  We recently eliminated all nodebus extenders or
replaced them with NCNI's and our problems went away.  Other symptoms we saw
with nodebus extenders were high 802.3 MAC Resets and FT modules going non
FT, especially FT CBLAN modules.
        I hope one of these conditions explains your problem and you are
able to fix it.  At any rate, let all of us know what the final solution is.

Thanks,
Tom VandeWater
Control Systems Developer/Analyst
Dow Corning Corp.
Carrollton, KY  USA

P.S.  I'd be very interested in knowing what the fieldbus scan loading as
viewed through the CP60 Station block is for the one that has 68 devices on
the fieldbus all communicating via one set of DCM's.