Re: [foxboro] ABGW30 to Control Logix

  • From: kirk.d.carver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:05:41 -0500

I talked with the engineer that dealt with the KFC ControlNet application,
and here is what he had to say, FYI...

-------

The problem with the 1770-KFC was in it's firmware, and may actually be
fixed.  We've got to test it.  The final problem (there were several) was
this:

Problem Setup:
The device on the DF1 side (the Acrisons) is the master in a half-duplex
DF1 connection.  Under normal operating conditions the Acrisons are
occasionally too busy to immediately service requests from the PLC, and so
the requests queue up in the KFC.

What Should Happen:
If the queued requests remain in the KFCs buffer for longer than (I think?)
5 seconds, the KFC knows it needs to send an empty packet back to the PLC
just to keep the channel open.  Life is good.

What Actually Happens:
The KFC fails to send the empty packet back to the PLC.  The PLC decides
the message terminated abnormally, and sets the .ER bit flag and .ERR
integer error code for that MG message structure.  Life is bad.

AB's got another fix out, and I've got to get some/all of our KFCs to [the
rep] for sanctification.

Right now we're using KF/2 modules, which work bonus but of course are on
the DH+ network to the PLC, not the ControlNet.

N.B. There is another "KFC" out there, the 1747-KFC which fits into a SLC
chassis.  It is, apparently, more broken than the 1770-KFC, and I have not
been yelling to get it fixed.  When the 1770-KFC is working, I'll open
another log to get the 1747-KFC fixed, but right now it's not my problem.
Just be aware that there are actually two KFC modules.

----------------------
Kirk Carver
ExxonMobil Development
Ph: 281-654-4881
Fax: 281-654-4223
GP6--358
Internet Address: kirk.d.carver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      "Bakke, Richard A"

                      <rabakke@longfibre       To:       foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      .com>                    cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [foxboro] ABGW30 to
Control Logix
                      foxboro-bounce@fre

                      elists.org

                      10/04/02 10:59 AM

                      Please respond to

                      foxboro

List:
    Has anyone set up communication between the AB Gateway 30 and the
Control Logix PLC by using AB's 1770-KFC card?   This card converts the
RS232 to Control Net.

Thanks,
Rich Bakke
Longview Fibre Co.