[foxboro] Utility submissions re-visited.

  • From: David Johnson <djohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:03:42 -0500

This is in reference to Cassandra Submissions, etc.

I think that I must take the blame for Cassandra submissions not being
handled well.  Although they ultimately need to go to Duc for posting,
that's not really what I had in mind when I envisioned this project.

I'll use the recent HTML-izers being discussed as an example of what I
would like to see happen on a project of this size. Bear in mind that the
whole process is very open and people may jump in and out at any
time.  Some of these steps may be skipped if they are not applicable.

1) Someone asks for, or puts forth, a utility.

        a) I NEED and HTM-izer.
           or
        b) I've got the greatest HTML-izer ever.

2) Others mention that they have HTML-izers that are "real close" too, or
also have a need for one.

        a) Mine handles PLB code
        b) Mine has pretty colors for cross references
        c) I need it to have (your pet feature goes here)

3) The INTERESTED parties take a look at what is available.

        a) Discussion ensues over a common required feature set
        b) Anyone can submit an abandoned project and NOT be expect to be part
of
the project team. (I wrote this but don't work with I/A anymore. Good Luck!)

4) Someone takes ownership of HTML-izers and garners consensus within the
interested parties. (A project champion emerges.)

        a) We will base the HTML-izer on Bob's but add Bill's color feature and
Joe had a good suggestion about including PLB ladders.

5) The techno-geeks step up to do the work.

6) The champion farms out the work to the techno-geeks.

7) Interested parties Beta test the product.

8) The champion gets consensus that the product is ready for an initial
release.

9) The product is announced.
        a) Version 1.0a of the HTML-izer is available for download at the
Cassandra web site.  At this point it's sent to Duc for posting.

10) Future enhancement requests are discussed and the product may or may
not continue to get development time from the user community.

That's what I would like to see happen.  That way the user community gets a
better quality tool, a more useful tool, and it can be maintained by the
group as a whole.

T       ogether
E       veryone
A       chieves
M       ore

Or so we were told in Las Vegas.

So what do you think?  This is the part where some savvy project managers
out there weigh in.  After all this is supposed to be a discussion list.

Regards,
David Johnson
PREMIER System Integrators
(256) 355-1732

You would think the President would have more pressing matters at this
time.  It just goes to show you never know who might be reading this list.

"Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff."
        Frank Zappa