[foxboro] Nodebus..Displays..Smurfing..William..Shatner..Acting

  • From: David Johnson <drjohn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:38:28 -0500

Hey everybody.

It has long been known that moving large amounts of data, such as
many displays, over the nodebus will cause smurfing....

That being said, I have been working on a configuration like the
following for several years.
(use fixed font for align for viewing the bad ASCII drawings.)
AW51F------WP7001
                 |-WP7002
                 | WP7007

The 70 series workstations do not have a secondary ethernet port.

Displays were converted to .g files and moved to or from the F box as
needed.  Then the .fdf displays were copied by windows explorer from
a "master" NT box to the rest of the NT workstations.  This worked
reasonably well as long as no one attempted to copy too much data at
a time.  How much was too much?  I don't know, I know at least a
directory at a time was doable, and possibly more.

Now they added an AW70X running XP and an ATS with a CP270 so it
looks more like

AW70Xp -----ATS-----AW51F
                        |-WP7001
                                   |-WP7007

Now copying even one file of ~ .5 meg causes smurfing, and the
problem seems to persist until the boxes involved in the copying are
re-booted.  I don't know if the ATS is jamming a lot of data onto the
nodebus and amplifying the problem, or if we have something else that
needs adjusting.  Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?

Let me know your experiences in this area.

Thanks,
David