[foxboro] L02-1 Equipment questions. Was RCNI, NCNI, FO SWITCH

  • From: "Johnson, Alex (Foxboro)" <ajohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:35:14 -0500

Equipment configuration and DNBIs

With regard to how to connect the equipment, this may help:

1. The CP-60 plugs into the standard I/A Series 1x8 enclosure or equivalent.
2. The two NCNIs plug into the same enclosure. Each NCNI attaches to exactly
one port on one switch.
3. The two Ethernet switches are not interlinked.
4. Each switch has a port that connects to the same RCNI, i.e., one RCNI
connect to each switch.
5. A given RCNI attaches exactly one Workstation to an Ethernet switch. The
workstation connection - as with the DNBI - requires an Ethernet port and a
serial port.

So, while it is true that you do not use DNBIs with the new workstations and
Ethernet switches, you do need to use an RCNI which is very, very similar in
function if not form factor.

I'm afraid that I have not investigated the situation with a non-redundant
Control Network in any detail.

Ethernet Switches:
We sell several switch models: some copper and some fiber. Our vendor is
Entrasys (a merger of Wellfleet and Cabletron). We will (or have) certify an
equivalent Cisco switch. We also allow the use of non-Invensys certified
switches.

So, you may use any standard High-Speed Ethernet switch, but please be aware
that we cannot offer the same degree of support for other switches.

Cost of Ethernet Switches:
I really can't comment on cost, but fiber switches from name brand vendors
are not cheap. On at least one occasion in the US, I saw the same switch as
our Fiber Optic Switch offered for 1000 USD more than our US list price. So,
on this topic at least, I believe we are competitive with the market (in the
US anyway).

I hope this helps.

Alex Johnson
Invensys Systems, Inc.
10707 Haddington
Houston, TX 77043
713.722.2859 (office)
713.722.2700 (switchboard)
713.932.0222 (fax)
ajohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx
For the latest information on ArchestrA, go to
www.invensys.com/Archestra.html.