[foxboro] CP40A Custom Jumbo Image Support????

  • From: "Sieling, Marcel" <msieling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 05:34:43 -0400

Hi,

sorry for answering a bit late.

[Jumbo Image]
Terry wrote:
>I believe this was a custom to allow the CP to use all 4MB of memory =
for =3D
>control blocks.  A normal CP40 has 4MB onboard but only 2MB is usable =
=3D
>for control blocks.

Not quite correct. There is a limit in the normal CP image that only =
2000
Compound/Block objects can reside in a CP. Each Compound and each Block
cunsumes one entry in that list. If that list is full, you get an error
message "Cannot add Compound/Block" or similar. Usually this limit is =
never
exceeded because other limits (memory or CPU time) are reached first. =
But if
you have large numbers of DATA blocks (REAL, BOOL, LONG, STRING) it is
possible to get at this limit without really loading the CP, because =
DATA
Blocks are not executed, they are just storage places in CP memory. =
Now, the
Jumbo Image simply extends this Compound/Block List limit up to 4000.

Sounds good, but there is a big problem: Since I/A 6.2.1 the Jumbo =
Image
support is discontinued in the standard I/A Software and we discovered
problems on some customer sites already because of this discontinueing. =
So
simply installing the old CP opsys file does not fix this issue (You'll =
get
occasionally memory violation reboots, not very nice. ;-)

I/A
versions.

Best regards -

Marcel Sieling