[foxboro] AW: HIC's

  • From: "Sieling, Marcel" <msieling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 05:14:56 -0400

Hi,

>What we have been seeing in recent weeks is a weird thing.  On one of =
the
>sets of HIC's, [...] the HIC.MEAS and HIC.OUT are constantly
>switching back and forth between the higher and lower value every
>half-second. =20

There are two possible sources for this kind of problem:
1) Two sources of data are writing to one destination (this does not =
apply
to linked connections of course, because it is not possible to link =
more
than one source to a destination, but this may happen in case of =
Sequence
involvment or other software writing to parameters with omset or =
something
like this). This could result in concurrent overwriting of a value and =
then
dependent of block phasing an alternating result.
2) There is some kind of a feedback and due to timing issues resulting =
from
block phasing the value is alternating or oszillating.

This could lead to even more strange results. I once had the case that =
one
single CIN value was shown on two display managers and the first was
constantly TRUE and the second was constantly FALSE. I nearly went mad =
on
this and could not believe my eyes and it turned out, that the CIN was
alternating between TRUE and FALSE each half second and the two =
different
DMs just scanned the block in different moments, so that the first =
always
saw it TRUE and the second FALSE.

Solution:

look carefully in the loop documentation to figure out the information =
flow.
If there is no graphical loop documentation, take a big and empty sheet =
of
paper and create one. Write down all PERIOD and PHASE parameters of the
blocks concerned and carefully think over this drawing. I am sure you =
will
find the problem.

Good luck!

Best regards -

Marcel Sieling
Systems Technologies

Invensys Systems GmbH
Heerdter Lohweg 53 - 55
40549 Duesseldorf
Germany
Tel.:  +49 (0)211 5966-171
Fax:  +49-(0)172-50-2673077
Mobile:  +49-(0)172-2673077
Email: <mailto:msieling@xxxxxxxxxxx>=20
Homepage: <http://www.invensys-process-systems.de>=20
Visit my private (german) homepage: <http://www.powerslider.de>=20

Anwender-Symposium 2002 - Invensys Systems GmbH
11. - 12. Juni 2002, Essen=20
http://www.foxboro-deutschland.de/symposium2002/index.htm
Invensys Showcase - Worldwide User Conference & Expo
8. - 12. September, Orlando, Florida USA=20
http://www.invensysshowcase.com

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----