[forthepoor] Re: NOVEMBER 9TH THE POOR MANS EVENING PORTION

  • From: mike mcinnis <ratmotor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 20:45:03 -0500

Greetings sis Reis, et al

   I am blessed in reading mr. Hawker's thoughts on this verse.   There is a glorious word contained in this verse.   It is the word *_/"were"/_**. *We are not what we shall be but we are certainly not what we once *were*. /"That at that time //_ye *were* without Christ,_//being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: //_But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ_//." (Eph 2:12-13/)  "/And you hath he quickened, who**_*were* dead in trespasses and sins_." (Eph 2:1/) /"For when //_we *were* yet without strength_//, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, //_while we*were* yet sinners,_//Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. For if, //_when we *were* enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son,_//much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life." (Rom 5:6-10/) /"But God be thanked, that //_ye *were* the servants of sin_//, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you."  (Rom 6:17)  "For when //_ye *were* the servants of sin_//, ye were free from righteousness." (Rom 6:20/)

    Thanks be unto GOD that HE has delivered us from what we _*/"were"/*_ and has made us new creatures in CHRIST.

Blessings, mike

On 11/8/2022 3:56 PM, Soraya Reis wrote:

*"And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God." 1 Corinthians 6:11 *

*It is profitable at times to see our mercies, and to trace them to their source, by considering what we once were, the better to apprehend what we now are. "Such," the apostle saith, when speaking of the vilest of the vile, "were some of you:" dead in trespasses and sins, hateful, and hating one another. But now, being washed from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, there is a justification by Christ, and a sanctification in Christ; and by the effectual work of God the Spirit in the heart, the believer stands complete before God, in the name of the Lord Jesus. *

*This is a blessed testimony to the soul of the poor sinner, whom the Holy Ghost hath convinced of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment. For God the Father gave the promise, in the old testament scripture, that he would sprinkle clean water upon the people, and they should be clean. And here, in the new testament dispensation, the fountain is opened, by which it is to be accomplished, and they are said to be clean; yea, "both washed, and justified, and sanctified, in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God." So that all the persons of the Godhead are engaged in this glorious act, to render it secure and certain to the believing soul. *

*See to it then, my soul, that this be thy privilege, and that from long-tried and approved experience thou canst take home this sweet scripture to thyself, as both "washed, justified, and sanctified," and set to thy seal that God is true. Oh! for grace to live in the daily exercise of faith upon it, until faith be swallowed up, and lost in sight, and amidst the throng of the redeemed in glory, thou shalt live at the fountain-head of enjoyment, with those that have "washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb!"*

*Robert Hawker (1753-1827) *