[forthepoor] Re: NOVEMBER 7TH THE POOR MAN'S EVENING PORTION

  • From: mike mcinnis <ratmotor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 18:51:23 -0500

Greetings sis Reis, et al;

   Mr. Hawker blesses us once again by his comments.  Fear may surround us but it cannot overtake us when we are in the company of our LORD.   We do see through a glass darkly but we rest upon HIS promise.  Where else would we rather be, whether in the sunshine or the darkness, than in the fellowship of our MASTER. Can anything separate us from HIM if HE be our SAVIOR?

Blessings, mike

On 11/6/2022 1:49 PM, Soraya Reis wrote:

*"And they feared as they entered into the cloud." Luke 9:34 *

*My soul, here is much instruction for thine evening thoughts to be employed upon. Sit down, and take a leisurely view of the situation of the disciples of Jesus, at this hallowed season, on the mount. The Lord Jesus was about to manifest to them somewhat of his glory. But the prelude to it was infinitely solemn. "They feared as they entered into the cloud;" though, when there, Jesus was going to open to their souls the richest enjoyment of himself. And is it not so with all the sweetest manifestations which the Lord makes to his people? *

*Seasons of sickness, bereaving providences, afflictions from the world, disappointments, crosses, and the like; these are like the cloud to the disciples, as we enter them; but what gracious events have we found folded up in them, and when opened to our view, how much of Jesus's love, and grace, and glory, have come out of them, which, but for the dispensation, we must have lost. And recollect, my, soul, as thou lookest back, and tracest the divine hand leading thee through dark and trying providences, in how many cases, and in how many instances, though the cloud was frowning as thou didst enter, the most blessed sunshine soon after broke in upon thee. *

*Precious Jesus! choose for me in every circumstance yet remaining to be accomplished. I know not what is in thy sovereign appointments concerning me; but sure I am that both love and wisdom are at the bottom of all. Give me grace to enter the cloud, be it what it may, without fear, because I know Jesus is with me; and though, in this my day, it be neither clear nor dark, yet well I know all shall be well in thee and from thee; "and at evening-time it shall be light."*

*Robert Hawker (1753-1827) *