[forthepoor] Re: NOVEMBER 30TH THE POOR MAN'S EVENING PORTION

  • From: mike mcinnis <ratmotor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 21:24:31 -0500

Greetings sis Reis, et al

   THis verse and mr Hawker's able comments upon it serve to remind us of what Paul said to Timothy, "/Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; Who only hath immortality, _dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto_; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen." (1Tim 6:15-16/) Men who have never been given any understanding of the "inapproachableness" of GOD, cannot recognize the necessity of a MEDIATOR to bring them before HIM.  We live in an age when the words that the Psalmist used here to describe a HOLY GOD, are foreign to the concept which most professing Christians have of GOD.  Most prefer to think of HIM as their friend and helper. To be sure HE is indeed both for HIS elect children, but a man cannot value HIS friendship and brotherhood until he is first made to fall at HIS feet as a dead man at the sight of HIS glory.  Job made this discovery as he confessed, /"I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:5-6/) May we be given the same grace as he.

Blessings, mike

On 11/29/2022 1:56 PM, Soraya Reis wrote:

*"Clouds and darkness are round about him; righteousness and judgment are the habitation of his throne." Psalm 97:2*

*What a blessed scripture is here! And what a satisfying answer is given in it to the endless questions which are for ever arising in the human mind, for explaining the ways and works of God towards his creatures! The words are as if the sacred writer had been answering such inquiries, and had therefore made this conclusion; there must be much darkness, which the dim view of short-sighted creatures cannot see through, in carrying on the purposes of Jehovah: but here is an everlasting rule to go by; righteousness and judgment are the habitation of his throne, who is "wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working." *

*Oh, my soul! couldest thou call to remembrance this blessed scripture every day, and all the day, in the several exercises of thy warfare, how many anxieties would it save thee? I know as well as can be, in the perfect and clear conviction of my heart, the blessed truth; but when it comes to be put into practice, I am for ever calling it in question. I know that Jesus is pleased very frequently to work by contrary means; it is his province and his prerogative to quicken the dead, and to call "things that are not, as though they were:" his strength is perfected in weakness; and he sometimes kills to make alive, and wounds in order to heal. But in a killing time, I am so apt to reason with flesh and blood, that I forget the quickening time; and when the wounds are bleeding, so that life seems running out of them, I judge it impossible that they ever can again be healed; and hastily conclude, with the church, "My strength and my hope is perished from the Lord;" Lamentations 3:18. *

*Oh! for grace to view the righteousness and judgment of my God and Saviour as the habitation of his throne, and to rest for ever unshaken and fixed in this most perfect assurance! Jesus cannot mistake in ordering what shall be for my welfare; neither can he appoint any thing but what carries the mark of his love upon it. Let me, thou dear Lord! let me hear thy sweet voice through all the clouds and darkness which are round about thy dispensations, and whisper to me, as thou didst to thine astonished apostle, and then in every one, how mysterious soever it may be, it will silence my fears: "What I do thou knowest not now, but thou shalt know hereafter."*

*Robert Hawker (1753-1827)*