[forthepoor] Re: NOVEMBER 20TH THE POOR MAN'S EVENING PORTION

  • From: mike mcinnis <ratmotor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 19:48:34 -0500

Greetings sis Reis, et al;

  We hope to be thankful for the gracious words spoken here by mr. Hawker.  Is there another more clear instance in the scripture of the LORD spying out HIS child and announcing HIS intention to abide with him?  Perhaps before Zaccheus was born, the LORD caused this sycamore tree to sprout forth and become a  tree suitable for Zaccheus to climb on this particular day, not so that Zaccheus might see the LORD, but that the LORD might cast HIS eyes upon Zaccheus, (/HE looked up and saw him/) HE saw Zaccheus in the sycamore tree in the same fashion in which HE "saw" Nathanael under the fig tree./"Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him,//_Before_//that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, //_I saw thee_//." (John1:48/)  Oh to be "seen" by the LORD and to have HIM abide at our house.

Blessings, mike

On 11/19/2022 1:53 PM, Soraya Reis wrote:

*"And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up and saw him, and said unto him, Zaccheus, make haste, and come down; for to-day I must abide at thy house." Luke 19:5 *

*Precious Jesus! what an instance is here of the freeness, fulness, and sovereignty of thy grace! And was there "a needs be," O Lord, that thou shouldest go to the place where this publican was? "a needs be" to look up and see him? "a needs be" to call him? and "a needs be" to abide at his house? Is this thy manner, O Lord, in calling sinners? So then it was not Zaccheus seeking Jesus, but Jesus seeking Zaccheus. His curiosity, as he thought, led him thither; but it was the prevenient grace of Jesus in the poor man's heart, that first awakened that curiosity in him. And did Jesus seek Zaccheus, call Zaccheus, incline Zaccheus to receive him, and bring salvation to his heart and house that blessed day? Oh! then for grace to see, and enjoy Jesus in all. Yea, I see, Lord, now, plain enough, that all is thine; and of thine own, all we give is from thee. *

*When first my heart felt inclined to seek Jesus, it was Jesus who inclined my heart to this Christ seeking. Never should I have looked on thee, nor felt an inclination to see thee, hadst thou not first looked on me, and given me that desire. And what it was first, so is it now, in all the after enjoyments of thy sight and of thy presence. If I am at any time looking after thee, I may cry out with Abraham's handmaid, "Thou, Lord, seest me," and art looking after me. For never, even after all my knowledge of thee, should I look to thee with an eye of desire, except the eye of Jesus glance on me, as it did on Peter, in quickening and awakening grace. *

*Oh! then, thou dear Lord! let me daily, hourly, hear thy voice calling me down from all creature concerns, and creature confidences, to receive my Lord; and be thou constrained by thy love to come, not as the wayfaring man, to tarry but for the night, but to abide, and dwell, and never more depart from me. Be thou my God, and make me thy servant for ever.*

*Robert Hawker (1753-1827) *