[forthepoor] Re: NOVEMBER 18TH THE POOR MAN'S EVENING PORTION

  • From: mike mcinnis <ratmotor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 19:24:11 -0500

Greetings sis Reis, et al;

    How much we are reminded of our own unbelief when we read about the incredulity of this one "/on whose hand the king leaned/".   Is anything too hard for the LORD and yet we often fret and worry over "circumstances", temporarily forgetting that our FATHER is the GOD of circumstances and does cause all these things to work together for our good.  Will the LORD cast off HIS people whom HE has loved with an everlasting love?  Oh that we might be given a heart and mind to believe the promise of GOD.

Blessings, mike

On 11/17/2022 2:35 PM, Soraya Reis wrote:

*"Then a lord, on whose hand the king leaned, answered the man of God, and said, behold, if the Lord would make windows in heaven, might this thing be? And he said, behold; thou shalt see it with thine eyes, but thou shalt not eat thereof." 2 Kings 7:2*

*My soul, do not fail to remark, from the numberless instances given upon record in scripture, how the sin of unbelief is bound up in our very nature. Every man is of himself disposed to it. The subtilty of Satan induced this among the masterpieces of his devilish art. Hence nothing but an act of sovereign grace can bring a cure. What the prophet promised, in the midst of dearth, of so sudden and so great a supply of bread, appeared so incredible to human reason, that this unbelieving lord, on whose hand the king of Israel leaned, and perhaps in whose judgment he had great confidence, brake out into the indecent expression, that nothing less than the Lord's making windows in heaven could accomplish it. But the event, to Israel's joy, and his punishment, literally took place: and such was the pressure of the people for bread, at the gate of the city, that the unbelieving lord was trodden to death. And what is thine instruction, my soul, in the spiritual illustration of this scripture history? The Lord need not make windows in heaven, to rain down the bread of life for the famine of thy soul. Jesus himself, the true bread of God, is come down, that "whosoever believeth on him may eat and live for ever." Oh! for faith to give credit to God's testimony of his dear Son: and both to see, and to eat of him, and to live for ever. Lord! I would say, "Evermore give me this bread!"*

*Robert Hawker (1753-1827)*