[forthepoor] Re: NOVEMBER 14TH THE POOR MAN'S EVENING PORTION

  • From: mike mcinnis <ratmotor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 06:40:54 -0500

Greetings sis Reis, et al;

   This is an interesting perspective from mr. Hawker and certainly is not without merit or application.  Yet it seems to me that here John is testifying to the fact that CHRIST was born (of water) meaning natural birth as well as by blood (signifying HIS death since the "/life is in the blood./" This same analogy of the water is used by the LORD when HE spoke to Nicodemus of the necessity of the "new birth" or "spiritual birth". /"//Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except//_a man be born of water_//and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is//_born of the flesh is flesh_//; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." (John 3:5-//7/) Here HE is contrasting and comparing natural birth and spiritual birth.  While certainly an application can be made in John's letter to the LORD's water baptism and/or the water which flowed from HIS side at the crucifixion, I believe the point John is making is that CHRIST came in the flesh (by natural birth) and also poured out HIS blood for all to see.  The most important aspect of the context of John's letter is this, /"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son." (1John 5:11/)

blessings, mike

On 11/13/2022 2:22 PM, Soraya Reis wrote:

*"This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood." 1 John 5:6 *

*My soul, ponder this weighty scripture well. There is much in it. When the soldier pierced the sacred side of Jesus, John recorded the act and its effects, as most significant and important. That it penetrated the heart, is most evident, because from no other part of the body could blood and water, in a full stream, flow together: and as both, in the purposes of redemption, strikingly set forth the great object of Christ's mission; so John is here impressing the great truth on the minds of the church, as a matter most essentially necessary to be regarded. He repeats it, that it might not be overlooked or forgotten. It was not by water only, that Christ came, but by water and blood. Both represented the necessity of that redemption our nature universally required for the purpose of salvation, and therefore Christ came by both. T**he water administered by the various washings under the law, and the blood shed in the innumerable sacrifices; as Jesus came to sum up and fulfil all in one, it was needful that he should come with both. And hence, as by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost, shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour, the Lord accomplisheth that which the typical representations of the law set forth; so by his blood he completes that also in the full price of redemption which the numberless sacrifices on the Jewish altar were uniformly intended to shadow. *

*Behold, my soul, the vast and infinite importance of the thing itself, and look, this evening, with an eye of faith unto Jesus, who thus came, until by faith thou also not only enter into a full apprehension of the great design of his coming, but art perfectly assured that thou hast a personal interest therein, and that Jesus hath presented thee, among his redeemed, to himself, a glorious church, "not having spot or wrinkle, or any such thing, but that thou shouldest be without blame before him in love."*

*Robert Hawker (1753-1827) *