[focusonrhabdo-steering-committee] Re: Repost - Moved to New List

  • From: Alan Ehrlich <arehrlich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: focusonrhabdo-steering-committee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 20:56:45 +0000 (UTC)

Joan, At this time Focus On Rhabdo is a loose group of advocates with a
website.  We have no formal corporate status.  We will make that move should it
be necessary. Certainly if the foundation consortium doesn't work and we have
to be able to raise, collect and dispense funds ourselves, we will need to
incorporate and file for 501(c)3 status. Since we don't have a corporate status
at this time, I agree that it doesn't matter what we call ourselves, however,
if we need to form a corporate entity, then an executive committee (or board)
would be a requirement. I too wish you could take on an EC position but I know
how over-stretched you are.  I have no doubt that you will make considerable
contributions regardless of your title or position. Thanks for all you are
doing. ...Alan Alan R. Ehrlich President, The Center for Listening Disorders
Research - A NJ Non-Profit Corp www.listeningdisorders.org 609-619-0039 or
818-554-6480 -------------------------------------------- Immediate Past
President, International Listening Association Join the International Listening
Association - www.listen.org ---------------------------------------------
Member, New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators
--------------------------------------------- Hearing is about sounds...
Listening is about understanding.  Learn to Listen. Sent from my IQTELL Virtual
Workspace From: Joan Darling (yesak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) Sent: Sunday, February 16,
2014 03:44 PM To: focusonrhabdo-steering-committee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject:
[focusonrhabdo-steering-committee] Re: Repost - Moved to New List   1. I prefer
the name Steering Committee, but frankly I don't think the name matters much as
long as we each know what our tasks are.  Are there legal differences?  For
example, is Focus on Rhabdo an NPO, or is there a chance it could become one in
the future?  If so, a Board might be an essential part of incorporating. 2.
Suggest two year terms with the option to stay in the same a position for
another two years. Not too long to deter people from saying yes, not too short
to complete a task if it takes a while to get it going. 3.  I wish I had time
to be in an EC leadership position, but I do not.  I'll help on some projects,
not sure which ones yet. Joan On 2/16/2014 10:33 AM, Alan Ehrlich wrote: I've
moved this over to the new Steering-Committee list for discussion. Team,  Sorry
to take so long to get this to you. Between rebuilding the website and the
webinar, it has been a busy time. And, I broke one of my long-standing rules -
don't take notes while hosting a meeting.  Just doesn't work. So, if someone
would volunteer... :)  Notes and Thoughts   Structure, Name and Terms   There
seemed to be two names and structures that gained traction at our meeting.  The
first is being called a board, with the standard array of positions
(president/chair; vice president and so on. Additional people would be part of
a committee structure working 'under' the board.  The second was Steering
Committee with an Executive Board/Committee with the same positions.  There was
agreement that terms should not be short and most of us spoke to the idea of
not having to leave, but rather move positions while allowing for others - new
blood - to come in.  Both of these are very similar.  The Steering Committee
concept might be a little more flexible in allowing new members (spouses and
others) to join and participate, but the choice is for the group to make.
Question #1 - Do we want to be called a Board or a Steering Committee?  We'll
tally the votes as they arrive. Question #2 - Do we agree on the length of
service being as long as we feel we want to commit, and that we would
change/rotate positions - allowing for new blood - every two years (unless, of
course, we want to resign a position).  Yes, No, Comments.... Question #3 - Who
wants to volunteer for a leadership (Executive Committee) position?  Which one?
Committees   We discussed a number of committees beginning with Fund Raising
and Public Relations.  We added Bio-Specimen Donation Committee and Education
Committee.  Todd volunteered to chair the Bio-Specimen Committee and Vanessa
indicated that she wanted to be on (chair?) the Education Committee.  It is
important that we put together the fund raising committee and see if we can
form a consortium of small foundations that will not only contribute to the
projects that we, along with our advisory board, lay out, but are also willing
to have funds directed to them and hold them for these projects.  As always,
your thoughts and comments are both needed and desired.  Thanks for everything.
 ...Alan Alan R. Ehrlich President, The Center for Listening Disorders Research
- A NJ Non-Profit Corp www.listeningdisorders.org 609-619-0039 or 818-554-6480
2012.0.2247 / Virus Database: 3705/6596 - Release Date: 02/15/14