[flos-freeware] New Release: Notepad2 Version 4.0.22

  • From: Florian Balmer <florian.balmer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: flos-freeware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:42:39 +0200

Dear subscribers of this newsletter,

The final version of Notepad2 4.0.22 has been published.

As advertised in the release notes for the 4.0-beta versions, the
major addition is enhanced support for numerous Windows, DOS, ISO, Mac
and IBM EBCDIC encodings, as well as for additional Unicode
Transformation Formats like UTF-7 and GB18030. With auto-detection of
encoding tags, including HTML/XML meta tags to specify the character
encoding, the new features are convenient to use.

Besides that, the File Change Notification settings are regrouped in a
dialog box, and provide an option to automatically reload unmodified
files. Other changes cover special variants of the tabify and untabify
commands to modify only indenting whitespace, and hotkeys to increase
or decrease selected integral or hexadecimal numbers. Find results are
scrolled away from the top and bottom borders, so that more contextual
lines are visible.

Due to consolidation of redundant styles to simplify customization
(affecting mostly comments and strings), some style settings may have
to be readapted. Also note there's now a default setting of +2 for
extra line spacing (can be removed).

  http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

Special thanks to Kai Liu, who has again contributed useful features
and fixes. Kai is maintaining an extended version of Notepad2 to
support code folding, an installer allowing clean and completely
undoable Windows Notepad replacement, additional syntax schemes, and
other improvements.

  http://code.kliu.org/misc/notepad2/

Also thank you very much to everybody for sending me interesting
feedback, feature requests, and problem reports. Notepad2 is still
just a hobby, yet, from time to time, I'm putting all my heart and
soul into this project.

So, what's next?

The two most laborious items on my task list for Notepad2 have been
accomplished, in the past year: creating a native Win32 Unicode build,
and adding enhanced encoding support. Currently, there's no major new
features of the same scale I'd like to integrate into Notepad2.

The most frequently requested features by Notepad2 users are:

* Enhanced regular expression engine. Recent versions of the Scintilla
source code editing component allow embedding an external regex
library.

* Display text statistics (mostly word and character counting).
Currently, the statusbar displays bytes instead of characters in
non-ANSI mode.

* More extensive print header customization (display additional file
information, allow custom fonts).

At the current stage I do not promise I will work on these features,
straight away, but I will certainly keep this list in mind for future
development.

Best wishes,
--flo