[fenrir-screenreader] Re: line reading problem

  • From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fenrir-screenreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 13:13:37 -0400

The problem is unique to alpine I tried reading the fenrir man page which has many long lines in it and had no problem doing that. Could it be alpine is doing strange things with display attributes going right past us? If that is true, maybe configuring alpine better will clear this problem.

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021, Storm Dragon wrote:

Howdy Jude,

I am not sure why that happens in alpine. I use mutt myself, and was able to give specific feedback for it, so it works quite well now. None of the changes you made should cause any problem.

Are the problems you are having only in alpine, or in the normal console as well? If in the console, you may try typing:

reset

and see if that clears it up.

Thanks,
Storm

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 04:29:00PM -0400, Jude dashiell wrote:
This happens lots in alpine. Subject lines and lines inside of messages get cut off persistently by fenrir. I can tell this since context is regularly trashed in the reading. If in desktop mode I press the 8 key on the number pad with a short press, I hear broken lines persistently. If I press a little longer I hear the whole line. If I press to long then I hear the broken line.
Another failure is when listening to some messages I'm hearing spaces spoken sometimes with some messages but this doesn't happen with all messages. I have no clue what's causing that to happen. The only modifications I made to fenrir configuration were in /etc/fenrir-screenreader/settings/settings.conf.
I adjusted the speech rate down from 1.0 to 0.5; I changed laptop to desktop, I changed echo keys pressed to True.
Would any of these changes caused this degraded performance?

IRC Live Support:
Network: irc.linux-a11y.org
Room: #a11y

IRC Live Support: