[fenrir-screenreader] Re: fenrir-screenreader and gentoo

  • From: Cleverson Casarin Uliana <clul@xxxxx>
  • To: fenrir-screenreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 22:35:05 -0300

Hi Jude, I've got Fenrir working on the raspberry-pi version of Gentoo some time ago, by following the direction pointed by Storm.

As for speakup, I use to do the following procedure since 2007, when I installed Gentoo for the first time (yes I am a big fan of this distro), and it remains the same up to this day:
* Enable the speakup main module built into the kernel, i.e. not as a module;
* Enable speakup_soft as a module;
* Open or create the file /etc/modules-load.d/speakup.conf and put into it a single line saying:
speakup_soft
* emerge espeakup, which should bring up espeak along;
* emerge alsa-utils;
* Open or create the file /etc/conf.d/alsasound and put into it the following line:
SAVE_ON_STOP="yes"
* Add alsa to the boot process, as so:
rc-update add alsasound boot

that's it.