[fenrir-screenreader] Re: fenrir installation

  • From: chrys <chrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fenrir-screenreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020 12:06:26 +0100

You are welcome.

fo any other issues just ask.
Am 31.01.20 um 17:46 schrieb Mallard:

Many thanks Chrys and Jude.

Very helpful.

Ciao,

Ollie

On 31/01/2020 17:34, Jude DaShiell wrote:
Another way to install fenrir is:
pip3 install fenrir-screenreader and that should work on any linux
distribution.
Sometimes pip install fenrir-screenreader works better but with the
transition from python2 to python3 perhaps use of pip might be a bit
dangerous until python2 is finally off of standard linux distributions.
It's also possible those using pip or pip3 for the first time will be
advised to upgrade pip and this isn't hard and the older pip will be
removed once an upgrade happens.

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 10:47:35
From: chrys <chrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Mallard <mallard@xxxxxxxxx>, fenrir-screenreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [fenrir-screenreader] Re: Testing

Howdy Ollie,

On Arch its quite easy to install fenrir as it is in AUR.
# i still use aurman, but you can of course? use the AURhelper of your choice
aurman -S fenrir-git

to install fenrir if you run pulseaudio, the sound card is locked by the
pulseaudio instance of your user. As fenrir runs currently as root an second
instance of Pulseaudio as user root would require access to the hardware. this
is denied because its locked by the instance used by your user. So the script
configures the root instance of pulseaudio to stream its sound to your user
instance of pulseaudio (instead play it directly), and configure your user
instance of pulseaudio to receive the root sound stream and play this stream
on your speaker. this makes you hear the sound created by fenrirs TTS process.
this is just to let you know what the scripts are doing.
you need to run this once as normal user and once as root (to bring both
configurations in place)

# as normal user:
/usr/share/fenrirscreenreader/tools/configure_pulse.sh
# as root
sudo /usr/share/fenrirscreenreader/tools/configure_pulse.sh

let me know if you need help. fenrir is of course not perfect yet :), but i do
my best to improve it. also if i don't have that time i currently wanna have
for develop it.

cheers chrys

Am 31.01.20 um 16:25 schrieb Mallard:
Hello again Chrys,

Sorry, I think I need some more help here.

Where is teh Pulseaudio Configure Script to be found?

Arch was installed for me by my son, as I said previously, and I only
resurrected it, but I don't know what was done then.

Thanks, sorry for this laughable question... lol

Ciao,

Ollie

On 30/01/2020 14:19, chrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Howdy Ollie,
because my Arch doesn't want to speak in the consol
Using pulseaudio requires some additional step.
did you run the configure pulseaudio script?

cheers chrys
Zitat von Mallard <mallard@xxxxxxxxx>:

hello Pranav,? Thanks" for confirming. I was looking into Fenrir, because
my Arch doesn't want to speak in the console, while all is well in Mate
desktop.? What I tried up to now has giuen no results... sigh.? I'll wait
till Fenrir is fixed to try it out.? Ciao,? Ollie

?Sent from BlueMail ?

On 30 Jan 2020, 00:40, at 00:40, Pranav Lal <pranav.lal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Ollie,

Fenrir as far as I know works only in the console. I have been unable
to get the latest versions working due to a problem with the pyttsx3
library. The library is a cross platform library to work with speech.
It seems it is executing the code meant for Microsoft windows in the
Linux installs so there is a problem.

Pranav