[fenrir-screenreader] Re: New Fenrir user with questions

  • From: chrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: fenrir-screenreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 10:00:59 +0100

Howdy,

by the way:
I dont use an screenreader as i m not blind at all but my girlfrind lowers the sound volume to 0.2 to have the information not distrub while speech process but get the information at all.
maybe this could an idea as well :).
if there are special soundicons what bothers you maybe there is also a build in toggle in the settings.conf file.
overall its a good idea to have sound icons to compress more information at smaller time.

cheers chrys
Zitat von Jayson Smith <jaybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

An example of Fenrir missing scrolled text is when you cat a large file without piping it to More, or if a menu in a program writes more than can fit on the screen, and part of it scrolls off. Speakup speaks the text as it comes in, so it doesn't matter if it scrolls off. Fenrir only speaks what's actually on the screen when the large text dump is complete.

As for Fenrir not saying Blank for blank lines, that makes sense. I have sound enabled but volume set to 0, because I was getting distracted by sounds playing, and yet I thought Fenrir was a bit verbose with sound disabled. Is there, or could there be in the future, a config file with all the things that trigger Fenrir to play a sound or say something special, allowing you to adjust what it says if sound is disabled, or to turn off certain announcements completely?

Thanks again,

Jayson

On 2/16/2019 8:48 PM, Chrys wrote:
Howdy Jayson,

1.  i guess i do not really understand what is this issue about. For me the current screen is shown just fine. Also if i scroll i.e. in an man page it tells me all the incomming text. Do you have an example of this? Maybe i can understand the isse better then.

2. fenrdoes this as well. By default it uses an sound icon what sound a bit like quick white noise. If you dont hear them maybe „sox“ is missing. Do you here an sound when fenrir starts? Another idea i have, maybe the sound theme is not in place. How did you installed it? If you dont like a sound turn sound support in settings off then it speaks the word blank (it should ;) )

3. all keybindings are configurable.
There is also support for having different actions on the same shortcut by press them fast twice or more. You can setup the keyboard layout in
/etc/fenrirscreenreader/keyboard
Or running without installation just from git tree:
Gitroot/config/keyboard

By
Default desktop is used.
Time/ Date bindings are an good example. Fenrir key + t ( once for time, twice for date). Just append an trailing 2, for double or 3, for tripple press (theoretical without limit)
KEY_FENRIR,KEY_T=time
2,KEY_FENRIR,KEY_T=date
Just rebind them and if all others (storm?) are fine with send me the changes i will just commit them to have it as default if prefered. The bindings are just an sugesstion and not nailed in stone.
Cheers Chrys

Am 17.02.2019 um 02:12 schrieb Jayson Smith <jaybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jaybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>:

Hi,

A few weeks ago I started setting up a Debian system to replace my old, faithful, but hopelessly outdated Gentoo system from 2004. Up to this point my screen reader of choice has been Speakup, and I've been using an old DECtalk Express synthesizer. I knew I'd need to use software speech on the new system since it has no serial ports. I absolutely cannot stand Espeak, so purchased Voxin to use on the new system. However, it seems that neither way I've found to interface Voxin with Speakup, Voxinup or Speechd-up, is being maintained any more, and both have some problems. I decided to give Fenrir a go, and like it, except for a few little issues I hope to get resolved.

1. When something outputs a large amount of text, more than will fit on the screen, Fenrir seems to only speak the part of the text that remains on the screen at the end. In other words, the part that scrolls off isn't spoken. Speakup speaks everything that appears on screen, even if it scrolls off. Is there a way to fix this?

2. I'm used to Speakup saying Blank when I review cursor over a blank line, and Fenrir doesn't seem to do this. Is there a way to change this?

3. With Speakup, if I'm using the review cursor, I can hold down a key such as 7 for previous line, and it will repeat, eventually taking me to the top of the screen. Fenrir apparently doesn't honor key repeat. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks,

Jayson

IRC Live Support:
Network: irc.linux-a11y.org <http://irc.linux-a11y.org>