[fb-exchange] I beacons

  • From: "Barry O'Donnell" <odonnell.barry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fb-exchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 23:08:11 +0100

Hi Guyz & Galz,
I use a paid app on the i phone called blind squared and received an update.
In the update notes, there was a reference to it now supporting i beacons.

I never heard of i beacons until now.

Doing a bit of googling has opened a pandoras box of information for me on
the limitless possibilities which this technology presents from a mobility
and orientation perspective.
I was trying to achieve something like this using N F C/R F I D tags at the
Community Design Challenge last year.

Here are some interesting links I have come across.

Navigation using blind squared app and i beacon bluetooth beacons at a
shopping centre in Helsinki, Finland.

You tube link: Please note it changes to Finnish Language a few minutes
into the clip but pretty amazing what they have achieved indoors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jH-Bdjmgb4

Can i Beacons Be Used To Help The Visually Impaired Navigate Public
Transport?

You tube link from the Royal London Society for Blind People :

https://youtu.be/nhaM2wUmSf4

Web site from the Royal London Society for Blind People with further
information.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/06/ibeacon-navigation/

Unboxing and testing i Beacon devices from estimote in Poland, you tube
link.
Please note language changed to what I think is Spanish for a short while
during the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lIKsFqDOiQ

Prices of the standalone i beacons which have a button cell battery with a
life of 2 years seem to be €25 and upwards.
It seems to be possible to get a usb version of these for a pc and even
possible to setup an i phone or android phone as a beacon also.

Here is a link to an interesting use of i beacon technology in electric
cars.
Very little audio in it but an i phone app alerts people who are blind to
an approaching electric vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NhRhUDhbA4

i beacon technology used in the Saint Patricks cathedral app.

link:

http://dublin.anglican.org/news/2015/03/St-Patricks-Cathedral-App-Embraces-New-Tourism-Technology

Best wishes,

Barry O'Donnell