[fb-exchange] GPS apps

  • From: Ronan McGuirk <ronan.p.mcguirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fb-exchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 10:59:29 +0100

Hi all,

Just wondering what are your thoughts on gps apps for the iPhone?

I use Ariadne GPS. I find this quite good and I have marked DART and
LUAS stations as favourites.
This means that on the DART, if it is not announcing stations
correctly, I can check the station by looking for the nearest
favourite.

What do you think is the best GPS app for Dublin? -- for example,
with stations and bus stop numbers identified, as well as street
names etc...

Best regards,
Ronan

On 17/06/2015, Gerry Kerr <gerrypkerr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well done Barry
Thank you for researching this topic. It sounds as if it could open up many
new possibilities to us in the on cited community. It also seems quite
inexpensive to buy. Perhaps we could persuade some of the big charities or
public bodies such as Dublin City Council or Irish rail to try a pilot
project.

All the best
Gerry
This message has been dictated using an iPhone.

On 16 Jun 2015, at 11:08 p.m., Barry O'Donnell <odonnell.barry@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Guyz & Galz,
I use a paid app on the i phone called blind squared and received an
update.
In the update notes, there was a reference to it now supporting i
beacons.

I never heard of i beacons until now.

Doing a bit of googling has opened a pandoras box of information for me
on
the limitless possibilities which this technology presents from a
mobility
and orientation perspective.
I was trying to achieve something like this using N F C/R F I D tags at
the
Community Design Challenge last year.

Here are some interesting links I have come across.

Navigation using blind squared app and i beacon bluetooth beacons at a
shopping centre in Helsinki, Finland.

You tube link: Please note it changes to Finnish Language a few minutes
into the clip but pretty amazing what they have achieved indoors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jH-Bdjmgb4

Can i Beacons Be Used To Help The Visually Impaired Navigate Public
Transport?

You tube link from the Royal London Society for Blind People :

https://youtu.be/nhaM2wUmSf4

Web site from the Royal London Society for Blind People with further
information.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/06/ibeacon-navigation/

Unboxing and testing i Beacon devices from estimote in Poland, you tube
link.
Please note language changed to what I think is Spanish for a short while
during the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lIKsFqDOiQ

Prices of the standalone i beacons which have a button cell battery with
life of 2 years seem to be €25 and upwards.
It seems to be possible to get a usb version of these for a pc and even
possible to setup an i phone or android phone as a beacon also.

Here is a link to an interesting use of i beacon technology in electric
cars.
Very little audio in it but an i phone app alerts people who are blind to
an approaching electric vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NhRhUDhbA4

i beacon technology used in the Saint Patricks cathedral app.

link:

http://dublin.anglican.org/news/2015/03/St-Patricks-Cathedral-App-Embraces-New-Tourism-Technology

Best wishes,

Barry O'Donnell