[familyschool] Re: notes from tonight's meeting

  • From: Meg Novak <bellalunameg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:56:31 -0500

Hi there-  I have not been able to make recent meetings.  I am wanting to
get more involved with SSFS in the coming year, especially because now both
of my children will be going there. (Hurray for Salaam getting in!)  Skills
that I have to offer:

1)I am a midwife and sex educator.  I would lgladly help out with sexual
health curriculum that is appropriate to kids at all grade levels.  These
discussions include talking about consent and healthy relationships, which
I think is a good discussion to start as early as possible.

I can also do more science-y things like give presentations on childbirth,
reproduction, bring in a placenta to show the kids, etc.  I am also a
Racial Justice organizer in the birth community, and would be excited to
share a radical history of midwifery in the United States with the kids at
Southside.

2)I am an artist, and have good connections within the art communit.  Looks
like southside got some great artists for residency this year, but if there
is any need for this kind of stuff in the future I would be excited to be a
part of it.

3)I can help with grant writing.  I would be excited about helping with
grants that increase access to arts and music programs for our students.

Hope that helps and it was not inappropriate to post this here.  My older
son has baseball games on most mondays, so I will find it difficult to
attend meetings at that time, but hope to reconnect with all of you soon.

Best Regards-
Meg Novak, CPM
612.251.1746

--

Meg Novak
Certified Professional Midwife (CPM)

Celebrating Mothers and the Transition of Birth