[familyschool] Re: Stan the Man!

  • From: brian reichert <pazlapuchica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 22:26:13 -0500

I believe the 4th principle was "balance"! which goes well with collaboration,
transparency, and patience.
Good energy at the dinner last night & I feel like the school is on a good path.

Brian

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 19:15:07 -0500
Subject: [familyschool] Stan the Man!
From: purplepurlgirl@xxxxxxxxx
To: familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The potluck dinner tonight was very nice. Ben introduced Stan and made some
announcements. The recruitment committee is meeting August 6th to go over
things for recruiting new board members. I don't know if that meeting is open
or closed but my guess is closed. The next board meeting is August 23rd and
that meeting is open to the public.

Stan greeted everyone and went over his experience. He has worked in
alternative and charter schools that served populations of students who just
didn't fit in other schools. (I'm being fairly general because I wasn't
actually taking notes.) And Stan told us that both a full time teacher for 1st
grade math/3rd grade reading and a part time math teacher have been hired for
the coming school year. Also Stan, Sherri & Stephanie are working on a job
description for an office worker for the school. When they have it ready they
can use community help to search for and refer candidates.

Stan gave his four guiding principles for his work - collaboration,
transparency, patience and one more I forgot. (Sorry.) He is eager to meet with
as many community members as possible. Please call the school and get on his
schedule to talk to him one on one.

The event could have been better attended. The school seems to be relying on
e-mail and the website for communication. I think that more outreach would be
better given the events of the last year. My suggestion is this - that there is
one parent volunteer to do a phone tree for their kid's grade. I tried to talk
to Rae about this but I missed her. I know our parent/student/teacher
organization is still getting off the ground but I think we could get this
piece up and running before school starts on September 2nd.

Keep on keepin' on,Gwyneth
p.s. The irony of using a list serve to suggest more than electronic
communication is not lost on me.
--

Gwyneth Olson