[familyschool] Re: Monday meeting - 7pm at 4200 Cedar Ave

  • From: Trish Lynne Deutsch <trishlynne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Family School Teacher Support List <familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 15:50:33 -0500

I just sent this to Ben, and wanted to copy it here just FYI for anyone!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Ben,

We weren't at the meeting yesterday, and I understood there was a sheet
going around to solicit volunteers?

I won't speak for Don, but cc'd him here in case he wanted to chime in.  :-)

I work full-time, so I'm not available to make phone calls, or do anything
in person Mon-Fri 9-5.  However, I'd love to make myself useful
how/when/where I can.

Here's the skills/experience I have that may be useful:

Research
Bookkeeping w/Quickbooks
Xcel Spreadsheets
Database work (depends on the database)
Survey Monkey set-up
Keeping track of sign-ups, creating e-mail lists, volunteer organization
Event Planning
Donor tracking/thank-you letters

I currently work as an Office Manager in a law office, and do some
paralegal work (immigration law).  My previous employment was
Bookkeeper/Administrative Assistant/Event Planning for an educational
non-profit (Association of Waldorf Schools of North America).

Board work or committee chair is generally out for me, because my schedule
is so up in the air (Don's dr. appointments, babysitting the grandbaby,
running May and Ira all over the planet, etc.).  I was on the finance
committee for a while, but the meeting times never worked out for me. I can
be on a committee, if the meeting times work in my crazy schedule.

There had been mention of forming a PTA, and I'd be very interested in
that.  I'd also be interested in a compliance/licensing committee, if that
came up.

There is also the issue of the very litigious and high conflict
relationship with my ex-husband and his wife.  I never want to be put in
the position of being "in charge" of anything where they would *have* to go
through me, that's just not a good dynamic.  So things like "class
parent".....don't work.  It's unfortunate, but it is what it is, and after
10 years, accepting it is a better position to take than expecting it to
change.

Always feel free to ask anything, I'm good at saying yes when I can, and no
when I can't.  :-)

Take care, and THANK-YOU for all of your work.
Trish

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Lola Schoenrich <lschoenrich@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> [...]
> group, but others would be welcome.  We'd want to coordinate with the
> Board, but don't need them to decide on anything.  We can take the lead.
>
> Lola
>

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Sabine Meyer <meye0336@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I sign up list was passed around but I agree - everyone who feels they
>> have a talent that can be useful, from filing to who-knows-what, should
>> send that to the board chair.
>>
>> -Sabine
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 2:12 PM, beth knoblauch <bethknoblauch@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I was thinking after the meeting last night that we should create a list
>>> of our talents and/or what we are willing to volunteer for and provide this
>>> to the board, teachers, and Sherri. This way, they can decide what is
>>> needed and ask for assistance where needed.
>>>

>>> ------------------------------
>>> Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 09:59:18 -0500
>>> Subject: [familyschool] Re: Monday meeting - 7pm at 4200 Cedar Ave
>>> From: lschoenrich@xxxxxxxxx
>>> To: familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>
>>> I'd like to offer a suggestion of where to go from here.  Let's figure
>>> out how to keep all this wonderful energy going and put to productive use
>>> going forward.  Let's not be deterred by the legal mumbo-jumbo at the board
>>> meeting suggesting that parents couldn't be involved.  As I understand it,
>>> there are already a few parents on board committees and it sounded as
>>> though the board just needed to figure out the right structures to make
>>> sure that their legal authority remains clear to the state, authorizer and
>>> MACS.
>>>
>>> Just to start the conversation, here are some specific suggestions:
>>>
>>> *   *Start a PTO*.  There seem to be several people interested in this.
>>>  We don't need anyone's "permission" to do this.  Put heads together,
>>> envision what you want, and get it going so that it is up and running by
>>> next fall.
>>> *   *Volunteer in the office*.  There is surely lots of work to be done
>>> since the office is short staffed.  Sherri may not be used to coordinating
>>> volunteers, but perhaps a couple of parents could set up a regular schedule
>>> and people could volunteer and show up.  Anyone with specific skills could
>>> perhaps take on a specific project.  Maybe the math lab computers need a
>>> work over.  Maybe the fundraising database needs an overhaul.  Maybe
>>> teachers need help cleaning their rooms and compiling the curriculum that
>>> VOA suggested they'd be looking at.  I have no idea what needs to be done,
>>> but surely there is work to do.
>>> *  * Volunteer for a committee*.  We could suggest committees or work
>>> groups that people want to be a part of.  These come to my mind:
>>>
>>> Possible committees or work groups.  There might be others or these
>>> might not be the right ones.  But just to start the conversation:
>>>
>>> 1.  Nomination Committee for the fall board elections
>>> 2.  Management structure