[familyschool] Re: Monday meeting - 7pm at 4200 Cedar Ave

  • From: Marcy Rede <marcyrede@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 14:15:25 -0500

Beth, there was a list being passed around last night for just that.  I don't
know who ended up with it, or who will type it, but I bet it can just continue
to be added to...  :)

From: bethknoblauch@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [familyschool] Re: Monday meeting - 7pm at 4200 Cedar Ave
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 14:12:00 -0500

I was thinking after the meeting last night that we should create a list of our
talents and/or what we are willing to volunteer for and provide this to the
board, teachers, and Sherri. This way, they can decide what is needed and ask
for assistance where needed.

 Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 09:59:18 -0500
From: lschoenrich@xxxxxxxxx
To: familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd like to offer a suggestion of where to go from here.  Let's figure out how
to keep all this wonderful energy going and put to productive use going
forward.  Let's not be deterred by the legal mumbo-jumbo at the board meeting
suggesting that parents couldn't be involved.  As I understand it, there are
already a few parents on board committees and it sounded as though the board
just needed to figure out the right structures to make sure that their legal
authority remains clear to the state, authorizer and MACS.

Just to start the conversation, here are some specific suggestions:
*   Start a PTO.  There seem to be several people interested in this.  We don't
need anyone's "permission" to do this.  Put heads together, envision what you
want, and get it going so that it is up and running by next fall.
*   Volunteer in the office.  There is surely lots of work to be done since the
office is short staffed.  Sherri may not be used to coordinating volunteers,
but perhaps a couple of parents could set up a regular schedule and people
could volunteer and show up.  Anyone with specific skills could perhaps take on
a specific project.  Maybe the math lab computers need a work over.  Maybe the
fundraising database needs an overhaul.  Maybe teachers need help cleaning
their rooms and compiling the curriculum that VOA suggested they'd be looking
at.  I have no idea what needs to be done, but surely there is work to do.
*   Volunteer for a committee.  We could suggest committees or work groups that
people want to be a part of.  These come to my mind:
Possible committees or work groups.  There might be others or these might not
be the right ones.  But just to start the conversation:

1.  Nomination Committee for the fall board elections2.  Management structure3.
 Hiring -- I think that this has always been done by board with staff input,
and maybe a couple of parents could join  in
4.  Compliance -- while the board is ultimately responsible, some of you are
very knowledgeable and interested in this.  Why not volunteer to come to the
table to help
Lola

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 10:57 PM, Jess Sundin <jess.sundin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Where do we go from here?
Please join us Monday evening for a meeting with Southside families - 7pm at
4200 Cedar Ave S, Minneapolis.

Jess