[familyschool] Committee Volunteers?

  • From: Sabine Meyer <meye0336@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: familyschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 07:55:03 -0500

Dear Teachers, Families and Friends:

I am reaching out with a separate note to ask you all to consider
volunteering for school governance committees.

The committees are chaired by board members but open to all. They are the
place where a lot of the actual planning and governance prep work are
carried out; committees bring their ideas and recommendations back to the
board for voting/action. Ideally, not just board members, teachers, and
staff serve on these board sub-committees - parents and school community
members are a welcome *and much-needed* addition.

I volunteered for the policy committee this spring and we've been working
on several documents the school is required to have so as to make these
documents a good fit for the school's unique culture as well as ensure
compliance with all regulations. The policy committee currently has shrunk
to two of us, with one hopeful. We have space to grow! Consider joining us
if you are interested in educational policy in general and school
governance/policy work for Southside in particular.

That said, other committees will also need new volunteer members - so if
you are interested in getting involved with fundraising, general planning,
curriculum documentation, etc., you would be a great asset to other
committees, also. Please consider volunteering! School governance, too,
needs you!!

What is the time/energy commitment, you ask? A monthly meeting, an hour or
two in length, at most, and some committee "homework" (type of work that
needs to get done depends on committee).

Again, this is NOT the same as serving on the board. Anyone with skills or
interests that map to the work that needs to be done in the sub-committees
will be a wonderful and much-appreciated addition.

Hope that some of you guys consider joining up!

-Sabine

--
Dr. Sabine Meyer
Professor, General Education